I have this on my mind lately, so I thought I'd share the questions that I've found and that I've come up with that you might use when interviewing candidates for PM roles.
Can you describe your experience with product management?
- This open-ended question allows the candidate to provide an overview of their background and experience in product management.
What products have you managed in the past, and what were their key features and challenges?
- This question helps you understand the candidate's specific product management experiences and the complexity of the products they've worked on.
How do you prioritize features and enhancements for a product?
- This question assesses their ability to make strategic decisions and prioritize tasks based on business goals and user needs.
Tell me about a time when you had to deal with conflicting stakeholder interests. How did you handle it?
- This behavioral question evaluates their conflict resolution skills and ability to work with different teams and individuals.
Can you walk me through your process for gathering and analyzing customer feedback?
- Understanding their approach to user research and feedback can help you gauge their customer-centric mindset.
How do you stay updated on industry trends and emerging technologies relevant to your products?
- This question assesses their commitment to continuous learning and staying informed about industry developments.
Describe a situation where a product you managed didn't perform as expected. What did you do to address it?
- This question evaluates their problem-solving abilities and adaptability when facing challenges.
How do you define and measure success for a product?
- This helps you gauge their understanding of key performance indicators (KPIs) and their ability to set and track goals.
Can you provide an example of a successful product launch you were involved in?
- This question allows the candidate to showcase their project management and execution skills.
How do you collaborate with cross-functional teams, such as engineering and design, to bring a product to market?
- Evaluating their teamwork and communication skills is vital, as product managers often work closely with various departments.